Are you interested in getting involved at the Audre Lorde Project? Join us for a membership orientation to learn more about our Membership Program, ways to join other programs at ALP, and for leadership development and political education opportunities.
For more info or questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grow your participation, by learning facilitation!
Facilitation is a great way to hold space, ideas, and conversation among many different people. In this session of the OUTsiderz Series, we will be learning some ways to brew dialogue, and how to engage folks on multi-sensory levels of participation.
We're aiming to have folks leave with:
-The politic behind Facilitation and Teaching (and the power dynamics internal to those practices)
-New tools to practice facilitation & how to make your own!
-Fun and practice with other LGBTSTGNC POC folks to allow the skills in to your body and spirit
Register here for the workshop here: https://goo.gl/forms/
The Fifth Annual POZitively Resiilent is a community building night of entertainment, education, and mind-blowing realizations of the world we live in centering communities most impacted by HIV.
Chillin' & Grillin' is an annual FREE BBQ and community event that celebrates the diversity of the LGBTSTGNC People of Color community and unites its various groups for summer fun.
This workshop will be a brief guided 'tour' through tools used the most often in Photoshop. We will be recreating the flier for this event (you can bring your own images but all images on the flier will be provided). Afterwards, time permitting, we will open the floor for questions about projects you are working on.
To be considered for this workshop you MUST fill out the form below, as we have a limited number of computer for folks to work from!
“What are the words you do not yet have? What do you need to say? What are the tyrannies you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will sicken and die of them, still in silence.” Audre Lorde, ‘The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action’, (1978)
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP SKILLS TRAINING SERIES
What do you want to organize OUTside the lines? Do you have an organizing project you are looking to build from the inside OUT, and need the skills to do it? We are here to cultivate your skills to build towards a dream project that you have wanted to bring to life.
This Leadership Development Series will support you by increasing your skills and developing your leadership within the realm of community organizing and social change work. This training will help you to better challenge the multiple oppressions faced by LGBTSTGNC People of Color communities. We committed training and building our community members so that we are all recognized as individuals with power who are collectively building movement. We want you to have more tools to build vision and transform our lives!
***This Workshop series is open to folks who identify as LGBTSTGNC POC only***
Come celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, two spirit, transgender and gender-non-conforming people of color living in the Bed-Stuy and Central Brooklyn community. The day will feature local artists, performances, workshops, music, vendors, family friendly wellness & fitness activities and more!
Want to support or get involved in the 7th Annual Bed-Stuy Pride?
- If you are inquiring about volunteering please email email@example.com.
- If you'd like to be a vendor, performer, or host a workshop, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes on access: It is our intention to create an accessible and welcoming space for LGBTSTGNC POC families, communities, and allies in Central Brooklyn. The venue is physically accessible (flat venue with ramps to the bathrooms), can be accessed by public transit (B38, B43, and G to Bedford-Nostrand), and provides gender neutral public bathrooms. We will offer Spanish language interpretation. Audre Lorde Project community practitioners and other community members will provide a variety of wellness and physical activities for event goers. ALP members trained in security and de-escalation will support the safety and well-being of our community members throughout the event. Please contact email@example.com if you have any suggestions or additions on how to make the space more accessible, and if you have any particular concerns about security.
Who we are: The Safe OUTside the System (SOS) Collective is an anti-violence program led by and for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two Spirit, Trans, and Gender Non Conforming people of color. We are devoted to challenging hate and police violence by using community based strategies rather than relying on the police. SOS is a project of the Audre Lorde Project, a LGBTSTGNC people of color community organizing center. www.alp.org
Ven a celebrar con la comunidad de color lésbica, gay, bisexual, dos espíritu, trans y disidente de género (LGBDETDDG) que viven en la comunidad de Bedford-Stuyvesant y en el Centro de Brooklyn. ¡ Este día habrá artistas, espectáculos, talleres, música, vendedores, actividades de salud y bienestar para toda la familia y mucho más!
¿Quieres apoyar o participar en el sexto festival anual del orgullo en Bedford-Stuyvesant?
Acerca del acceso: Queremos crear un espacio amigable y accesible para lxs aliadxs, familiares y comunidades LGBDETDDG de color del centro de Brooklyn. El lugar del evento es físicamente accesible (es un piso plano con rampas para los baños). Puede llegarse en bus (líneas B38 y B43) y por metro (estación Bedford-Nostrand de la línea G). Tiene baños públicos unisex. Ofreceremos interpretación en español. El equipo profesional del Proyecto Audre Lorde y otros miembros de la comunidad proporcionarán varias actividades de salud y bienestar para lxs asistentes al evento. Lxs miembros de ALP entrenadxs en seguridad y en la reducción de conflicto apoyarán con la seguridad y el bienestar de lxs miembros de nuestra comunidad durante todo el evento. Por favor, escribe a firstname.lastname@example.org si tienes alguna sugerencia o comentario adicionales sobre cómo hacer el espacio más accesible, o si tienes alguna preocupación en particular sobre la seguridad.
Quiénes somos: El colectivo “Segurxs Fuera del Sistema” (SOS, por sus siglas en inglés) es un programa de anti-violencia dirigido por y para lesbianas, gays, bisexuales, dos espíritus, trans, y gente disidente de género de color. Estamos dedicadxs a desafiar el odio y la violencia policial mediante el uso de estrategias comunitarias en lugar de depender de la Policía. SOS es un proyecto del Proyecto Audre Lorde, un centro de organización comunitaria para personas de color LGBDETDDG www.alp.org.
Chillin' & Grillin' is an annual FREE BBQ and community event that celebrates the diversity of the LGBTSTGNC People of Color community and unites its various groups for summer FUN! Now in its 19th year, the event has become a summer tradition, with an attendance of more than 300 people. If you're looking for a more intimate time, there will be plenty of space and activities for smaller groups to socialize (Pet friends/family are allowed as long as they are on a leash)! For any questions or suggestions, please e-mail Cleopatra at Cleo@alp.org
To get to the Picnic House North you can enter at 5th Street and Prospect Park West:
- F Train to 7th Avenue; walk up 9th Street to Prospect Park West & turn left; walk dow
n Prospect Park West to the 5th Street Entrance
- 2/3 Train to Grand Army Plaza; walk down Prospect Park West to the 5th Street Entrance (6-7 blocks)
- B69 Bus along 9th Street to 9th Street/Prospect Park West
To make sure this Chillin' & Grillin' is the most successful one we've ever had, we'll need about 25-30 volunteers to make sure the day goes as smoothly as possible.
If you're interested in volunteering for this event please sign up here or e-mail email@example.com.
- Space Holder: We'll need 4 folks to wake up with yours truly at the crack alley of dawn (6am) to help reserve picnic tables for our folks to chill at for the rest of the day. THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT ROLE!! EARLY RISERS NEEDED! You will also be rewarded with the first meal of the day and be proclaimed the picnic (S)heroes ;-) (Shift: 6am-9am)
- Set-Up: We'll need about 4 folks at 8am to help with loading the van, and packing the supplies (i.e. the food and snacks!!). How else are we going to get our grub and drink on?! You will also have the option of traveling to the park to continue with set up at the BBQ site. (Shift: 8am-9am) We'll need about 10 folks at 10am to help with unloading the van, and unpacking the supplies (i.e. the food and snacks!!). How else are we going to get our grub and drink on?! (Shift: 10am-12pm)
- Chalkers: We'll need about 6 folks to help with chalking directions to the picnic site on the ground around prospect park so everyone can enjoy the fun times!
- Essential Supporters: We'll need folks to welcome people, sign them in, and stand by for other misc. tasks (12-6pm)
- Game Masters:We'll need about 3 folks to help set up various board games and activities through out the day (dominoes, flag football, relay race) (Shift: 1pm-4pm)
- Pinata: We'll need 3 folks to help coordinate both the kids and adult pinata (Shift: 3pm-4:30pm)
- Breakdown: We'll need about 10 folks from about 5pm-6pm to assist with loading the van back up, and re-packing the supplies. Left over food should be wrapped up to be given away and taken home, but let's all do our part and make sure that doesn't happen :-) (Shift: 4pm-7pm)
- Office Clean Up: This shift requires volunteers to either travel from the picnic to the ALP brooklyn office OR meeting us at the Brooklyn Office at 7pm to help us put things away in the BK office and ensuring that it is organized (7-8:30pm)
Please sign up for the shift that makes sense for you! To sign up, e-mail Cleopatra at Cleo@alp.org.