Chillin' & Grillin' is an annual FREE BBQ and community event that celebrates the diversity of the LGBTSTGNC People of Color community and unites its various groups for summer FUN! Now in its 19th year, the event has become a summer tradition, with an attendance of more than 300 people. If you're looking for a more intimate time, there will be plenty of space and activities for smaller groups to socialize (Pet friends/family are allowed as long as they are on a leash)! For any questions or suggestions, please e-mail Cleopatra at Cleo@alp.org
To get to the Picnic House North you can enter at 5th Street and Prospect Park West:
- F Train to 7th Avenue; walk up 9th Street to Prospect Park West & turn left; walk dow
n Prospect Park West to the 5th Street Entrance
- 2/3 Train to Grand Army Plaza; walk down Prospect Park West to the 5th Street Entrance (6-7 blocks)
- B69 Bus along 9th Street to 9th Street/Prospect Park West
To make sure this Chillin' & Grillin' is the most successful one we've ever had, we'll need about 25-30 volunteers to make sure the day goes as smoothly as possible.
If you're interested in volunteering for this event please sign up here or e-mail email@example.com.
- Space Holder: We'll need 4 folks to wake up with yours truly at the crack alley of dawn (6am) to help reserve picnic tables for our folks to chill at for the rest of the day. THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT ROLE!! EARLY RISERS NEEDED! You will also be rewarded with the first meal of the day and be proclaimed the picnic (S)heroes ;-) (Shift: 6am-9am)
- Set-Up: We'll need about 4 folks at 8am to help with loading the van, and packing the supplies (i.e. the food and snacks!!). How else are we going to get our grub and drink on?! You will also have the option of traveling to the park to continue with set up at the BBQ site. (Shift: 8am-9am) We'll need about 10 folks at 10am to help with unloading the van, and unpacking the supplies (i.e. the food and snacks!!). How else are we going to get our grub and drink on?! (Shift: 10am-12pm)
- Chalkers: We'll need about 6 folks to help with chalking directions to the picnic site on the ground around prospect park so everyone can enjoy the fun times!
- Essential Supporters: We'll need folks to welcome people, sign them in, and stand by for other misc. tasks (12-6pm)
- Game Masters:We'll need about 3 folks to help set up various board games and activities through out the day (dominoes, flag football, relay race) (Shift: 1pm-4pm)
- Pinata: We'll need 3 folks to help coordinate both the kids and adult pinata (Shift: 3pm-4:30pm)
- Breakdown: We'll need about 10 folks from about 5pm-6pm to assist with loading the van back up, and re-packing the supplies. Left over food should be wrapped up to be given away and taken home, but let's all do our part and make sure that doesn't happen :-) (Shift: 4pm-7pm)
- Office Clean Up: This shift requires volunteers to either travel from the picnic to the ALP brooklyn office OR meeting us at the Brooklyn Office at 7pm to help us put things away in the BK office and ensuring that it is organized (7-8:30pm)
Please sign up for the shift that makes sense for you! To sign up, e-mail Cleopatra at Cleo@alp.org.