TransJustice Community School
When: February 8th 2011 – April 16th 2011.
Where: Audre Lorde Project, 147 W24th Street, New York, NY 10011
Applications are Due December 15, 2010
Stipends & Metrocards Provided to Participants
The TransJustice Community School is for People of Color who identify as Trans and Gender Non Conforming for example people of color who identify as trans, gender non-conforming, gender variant, gender deviant, butch lesbians, drag queens, bi-gendered, Two-Spirit, drag kings, femme queens, A.G., gender queer, non-gendered, andro, crossdressers, gender-benders, and more.
The TransJustice Community School aims to strengthen our community and ourselves and build participants confidence and self-esteem. The TransJustice Community School will focus on building the leadership of Trans and Gender Non Conforming People of Color, while participating in a larger multi-racial, multi-gender community that fights injustice facing those who are most historically targeted in the U.S. Through discussions and panels, workshops, visiting other groups and experience participants will:
- Learn how to and teach others to be self-advocates regarding Know Your Rights as it relates to: HRA, Housing Authorities, the Police System, and Health Care.
- Learn how to do public speaking related to ALP/TransJustice and the Welfare Justice Campaign.
- Learn how to identify and share crisis and sustainable living resources related to: health care, housing, legal issues, counseling and other common issues in our community.
- Learn how to facilitate meetings and how to make decisions and plan in a group setting.
- Learn what goes into planning, executing and evaluating parts of a campaign.
- Learn from experienced community members lessons on personal and community based survival.
The TransJustice Community School is an eight week program that will begin on February 8th, 2011 and will end on April 16th, 2011.
- There is no fee for participation. Participants will receive a meal at each session, a $70 weekly stipend, metrocards, and a certificate of completion (full participation is required). On time attendance at all sessions is also required.
- Location will be at ALP, 147 west 24th Street, New York, NY.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete and return the application by December 15th , 2010. Send form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 212-463-0344 or mail to ALP, 147 W24th St., New York, N.Y. 10011. For more info contact email@example.com or Mya (ext. 15) or Jen (ext. 13) at 212-463-0342.