147 West 24th Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10011
By Bus take the M07, M20 to 7th Ave/W. 25th; M23 to W 23rd Street/7th Avenue.
By Train take the 1 to 7th Avenue/23rd Street; F,M to 23rd Street; A,C,E to 23rd Street.
Are you a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two-Spirit, Trans, or Gender Non-Conforming Immigrant who's fluent in English and another language? Are you an LGBTSTGNC Person of Color who's fluent in English and another language and wants to support immigrant rights work? Interested in gaining interpretation skills AND learning about interpreting for social justice?
APPLY BY Friday, September 26th, 2014
What is the Interpreter Training?
One of the strengths of our community is that many of us are multilingual and have been interpreting for friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers. The Interpreter Training seeks to provide opportunities for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two-Spirit, Trans, and Gender Non-Conforming immigrants of color who are already informal community interpreters to:
- gain greater skills in interpretation
- learn about language justice strategies
- better understand how to build more multilingual spaces
- share knowledge about health, social and community resources
- share resources on translating health, sexuality and gender issues.
What are the details?
The program includes two all day trainings on Saturday, October 18th and Sunday, October 19th from 10am to 7pm. You must be available for both days to participate. There are a limited number of stipends available for this training. After completion of the training, participants will be expected to volunteer some time providing interpretation for ALP events.
Can I be one of the interpreters in this program?
- Identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two-Spirit, Trans, or Gender Non-Conforming
- Identify as a Person of Color
- Are fluent in more than one language including English
What are the next steps?
- After filling out the application, we will call you for a follow-up conversation.
- If you wish to participate in the program, but do not need a stipend please note this on your application. While stipends are limited there will be space for some non-stipend participants.
Please send completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.