Rapid Response Team Training: November 21, 2021 1:00-4:00 PM EST
*This event is for folks who are interested in joining ALP's Rapid Response Team, which meets monthly.
This is a space for LGBTSTGNC People of Color ONLY. No prior rapid response/community organizing experience required.*
Are you interested in providing support to Audre Lorde Project's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two Spirit, Trans and Gender Non Conforming (LGBTSTGNC) People of Color (POC) community members who are currently navigating the issues of housing, employment, health care, immigration status, and more? We are looking for rapid response team members to provide one-on-one advocacy, suggest resources and referrals, and support our members. We will collaborate to build up community-based skills and strategies for how we care for ourselves and each other. This team is a place to give and receive sustainable support; where creation, invention and innovation will be practiced!
Skills we will build together:
- How to provide compassionate, non-judgmental listening.
- How to identify triggers and maintain your own boundaries.
- How to provide practical support and help folks understand their options.
- How to offer support through resources and referrals in community.
- ALP strategies for community care, including wellness/safety planning.
After the Training, participants agree to:
- Support ALP's Mission and Guiding Principles, and ensure our work aligns with our values
- Attend monthly meetings (or read notes and check-in with 3rd space coordinator if you are unable to attend)
- Attend other ALP trainings that will help support your work, time/capacity permitting.
- Work towards practicing active listening and cultivating awareness of each other's time and capacity
- Communicate your own needs and boundaries around time/capacity transparently and intentionally
- Be prepared to not just offer members support, but to ask for it when you need it yourself.
"We are powerful because we have survived, and that is what it is all about - survival and growth." - Audre Lorde