TransJustice of the Audre Lorde Project is excited to announce that applications are open for our 7th cohort of TransJustice Community School!
The TransJustice Community School is for People of Color who identify as Trans and Gender Non Conforming for example people who identify as Trans, gender non-conforming, gender variant, gender deviant, butch lesbians, drag queens, bi-gendered, Two-Spirit, drag kings, femme queens, A.G., gender queer, non-gendered, andro, crossdressers, gender-benders, etc.
The TransJustice Community School aims to strengthen our community and ourselves and build participants confidence and self-esteem. Through discussions and panels, workshops, visiting other groups and experience participants will:
- Learn how to and teach others to be self-advocates regarding Know Your Rights as it relates to: HRA, Housing Authorities, the Police System, and Health Care.
- Learn how to do public speaking related to ALP/TransJustice
- Learn how to identify and share crisis and sustainable living resources related to: health care, housing, legal issues, counseling and other common issues in our community.
- Learn how to facilitate meetings and how to make decisions and plan in a group setting
- Learn what goes into planning, executing and evaluating parts of a campaign
- Learn from experienced community members lessons on personal and community based survival
The TransJustice Community School is an eight week program that will begin on February 1, 2016 and will end on March 22, 2016.
- There will be 2 sessions a week from 3pm-7pm on Monday & Tuesday
- There is no fee for participation. Participants will receive a meal at each session, a $70 weekly stipend, and MetroCard’s (full participation is required).
- On time attendance at all sessions is required.
- Location will be at ALP, 147 west 24th st, 3rd floor, Manhattan, NY.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete and return the application by January 9th, 2016. Send form by email to Olympia@alp.org or fax to 718.596.1328. Applicants will be notified by January 27th, 2016. If you have any questions contact Olympia at 212-463-0342 ext: 19
Sending you love and good medicine,
The Audre Lorde Project
147 West 24th Street, Floor 3
New York, NY 10011
TransJustice is a political group created by and for Trans and Gender Non-conforming people of color. TransJustice works to Educate, Organize and mobilize our communities and allies into action on the pressing political issues we face, including gaining access to jobs, housing, and education; the need for Trans-sensitive healthcare, HIV-related services, and job-training programs; resisting police, government and anti-immigrant violence.