TransJustice of the Audre Lorde Project is excited to announce the application is open for our 6th cohort of TransJustice Community School!
The TransJustice Community School aims to strengthen our community and ourselves and to build participants confidence and self-esteem. The TransJustice Community School will focus on building the leadership of Trans and Gender Non Conforming People of Color, while participating in a larger multi-racial, multi-gender community that fights injustice facing those who are most historically targeted in the U.S. Through discussions and panels, workshops, visiting other groups and experience participants will:
• Gain Self-Confidence and awareness of your relationships to yourself and the world at large
• Be able to analyze and engage with how power, privilege, and oppression impact our relationships to ourselves and our community
• Learn the history of Trans Liberation movements and campaigns in Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Communities of Color
• Learn Strategies and Tactics for how to build a campaign
• Gain life skills
• Gain skills and tools for self-care, community care, resiliency and survival
The TransJustice Community School is a nine week program that will begin on January 27th, 2015 and will end on March 27th, 2015. TransJustice Community School meets twice weekly, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6pm to 9pm, and school participants will participate in TransJustice Campaign and Open Meetings on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8:30 pm.
• There is no fee for participation. Participants will receive a meal at each session, a $70 weekly stipend, metrocards, and a certificate of completion (full participation is required). On time attendance at all sessions is also required.
• Location will be at ALP, 147w 24 ST 3rd fl NY N.Y. 10011, unless otherwise notified
ABOUT THE AUDRE LORDE PROJECT AND TRANSJUSTICE The Audre Lorde Project is a Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Two Spirit, Trans and Gender Non-Conforming People of Color community organizing center, focusing on the NYC area. TransJustice, a project of the Audre Lorde Project, is a political group created by and for Trans and Gender Non-Conforming People of Color. TransJustice mobilizes its communities and allies into action on pressing political issues including gaining access to jobs, housing, education; healthcare, HIV-related services, and job-training programs; and resisting police, government and anti-immigrant violence.
APPLY HERE TODAY, or feel free to print out the application and send to;
The Audre Lorde Project
147 West 24th Street, Floor 3
New York, NY 10011
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE JANUARY 19th!
Questions can be emailed to Elliott at firstname.lastname@example.org