Monday, February 6, 2017 - 3:00pm - Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 7:00pm
This year's applications are open for TransJustice Community School!
The TransJustice Community School is for People of Color who identify as Trans and Gender Non Conforming for example people who identify as Trans, gender non-conforming, gender variant, gender deviant, butch lesbians, drag queens, bi-gendered, Two-Spirit, drag kings, femme queens, A.G., gender queer, non-gendered, andro, crossdressers, gender-benders, etc.
The TransJustice Community School aims to strengthen our community and ourselves and build participants confidence and self-esteem. Through discussions and panels, workshops, visiting other groups and experience participants will:
- Learn how to and teach others to be self-advocates regarding Know Your Rights as it relates to: HRA, Housing Authorities, the Police System, and Health Care.
- Learn how to do public speaking related to ALP/TransJustice
- Learn how to identify and share crisis and sustainable living resources related to: health care, housing, legal issues, counseling and other common issues in our community.
- Learn how to facilitate meetings and how to make decisions and plan in a group setting
- Learn what goes into planning, executing and evaluating parts of a campaign
- Learn from experienced community members lessons on personal and community based survival
The TransJustice Community School is an 6 week program that will begin on February 6, 2017 and will end on March 15, 2017.
- There will be 3 sessions a week from 3pm-7pm on Monday & Tuesday and 6:30pm- 8:30pm on Wednesday
- There is no fee for participation. Participants will receive a meal at each session, a weekly stipend, and MetroCard’s (full participation is required).
- On time attendance at all sessions is required.
- Location will be at ALP, 147 west 24th st, 3rd floor, Manhattan, NY.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete and return the application by 1- 18- 17. Send form by email to Olympiaalp [dot] org or fax to 718.596.1328. Applications will be reviewed by a committee and accepted community members will be notified by 1- 25 -17. If you have any questions contact Olympia at 212-463-0342 ext: 19
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 6:00pm - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 9:00pm
Are you passionate about the issues of employment, housing, education, health care, and immigration?
Do you want to learn how to navigate the system?
Support your community?
Join the 3rd Space Support Response Team!
We are looking for folks to support Audre Lorde Project's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two Spirit, Trans and Gender Non Conforming (LGBTSTGNC) People of Color (POC) community members who are currently navigating the issues of housing, employment, education, health care, immigration status, and more. As a part of the Response Team you will: do intakes, provide one-on-one advocacy, suggest resources and referrals, and support our members. We will also build up community-based skills and strategies for how we care for ourselves and each other. This team is a place to give and receive sustainable support; where creation, invention and innovation will be practiced
The Safe OUTside the System (SOS) Collective is an anti-violence program led by and for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two Spirit, Trans, and Gender Non Conforming people of color. We are devoted to challenging hate and police violence by using community based strategies rather than relying on the police.