TransJustice Community School 2017 Application Open! - DEADLINE EXTENDED!
Monday, February 6, 2017 - 3:00pm - Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 7:00pm 147 W 24th Street, 3rd Floor, NY, NY, 10011
147 W 24th Street, 3rd Floor, NY, NY, 10011
This year's applications are open for TransJustice Community School!
The TransJustice Community School is for People of Color who identify as Trans and Gender Non Conforming for example people who identify as Trans, gender non-conforming, gender variant, gender deviant, butch lesbians, drag queens, bi-gendered, Two-Spirit, drag kings, femme queens, A.G., gender queer, non-gendered, andro, crossdressers, gender-benders, etc.
The TransJustice Community School aims to strengthen our community and ourselves and build participants confidence and self-esteem. Through discussions and panels, workshops, visiting other groups and experience participants will:
- Learn how to and teach others to be self-advocates regarding Know Your Rights as it relates to: HRA, Housing Authorities, the Police System, and Health Care.
- Learn how to do public speaking related to ALP/TransJustice
- Learn how to identify and share crisis and sustainable living resources related to: health care, housing, legal issues, counseling and other common issues in our community.
- Learn how to facilitate meetings and how to make decisions and plan in a group setting
- Learn what goes into planning, executing and evaluating parts of a campaign
- Learn from experienced community members lessons on personal and community based survival
The TransJustice Community School is an 6 week program that will begin on February 6, 2017 and will end on March 15, 2017.
- There will be 3 sessions a week from 3pm-7pm on Monday & Tuesday and 6:30pm- 8:30pm on Wednesday
- There is no fee for participation. Participants will receive a meal at each session, a weekly stipend, and MetroCard’s (full participation is required).
- On time attendance at all sessions is required.
- Location will be at ALP, 147 west 24th st, 3rd floor, Manhattan, NY.
HOW TO APPLY: DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 1-26-17 Complete and return the application and send form by email to Olympiaalp [dot] org or fax to 718.596.1328. Applications will be reviewed by a committee and accepted community members will be notified by 2-3-17. If you have any questions contact Olympia at 212-463-0342 ext: 19